26 January 2017 is a national day of recognition for the UK’s 700,000 young carers.
With just less than 2 weeks to go until Young Carers Awareness Day, the Carers Trust are asking you what you’re doing to mark the occasion.
“We want Young Carers Awareness Day (or YCAD) 2017 to be a day where everyone recognises the challenges that young carers face.
We want people to understand how difficult it can be for young carers to realise their hopes and dreams for the future unless they have the right support in place.
This year’s theme is ‘When I grow up’ and it’s all about helping young carers to achieve their dream jobs or career, and we want everyone to be a part of it.
We’ll be highlighting how some of the 700,000 young carers across the UK are caring for their sick or disabled mum, dad, brother or sister and how it is impacting their lives.”
How you can get involved
Here’s some fun things you can do now:
- Share what you’re doing on social media using the hashtag #YoungCarersAwarenessDay and tweet us at @CarersTrust or post on our Carers Trust Facebook page.
- Free resources and materials for you to download and use
Anyone can get involved in YCAD. See what you can do by downloading our ‘How to get involved in YCAD’ poster (PDF, 85KB) – there are ideas for Carers Trust Network Partners, parliamentarians, local councillors, health care professionals, GPs, charities and other organisations.
Download free YCAD materials for schools:
- Find out Who young carers are and what they do (PDF, 592KB)
- Use our YCAD 2017 promotional posters (PDF, 3.2MB)
- Read Stories of young carers, take a quiz and be a young carer Agony Aunt (PDF, 169KB)
- See Fun ideas for school activities and lessons (PDF, 587KB)
- Infographic: the impact of the Young Carers in Schools initiative (PDF, 113KB)
- Things your school can do during YCAD (PDF, 57KB)
- You can download Welsh versions of some of these materials on our Professionals website