While at university or college your child will have two main costs — tuition fees and living costs. Depending on your child’s circumstances, their course and where they study, they could get a range of financial support to help with both. The main types of finance are tuition fee and maintenance loans (which have to be paid back), and grants and bursaries from their individual university (which don’t).
There’s also extra support for those with specific circumstances, for example, students with children or adult dependants, a disability, including a mental-health condition or specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia or dyspraxia. For more information about Disabled Students’ Allowances and Dependants’ Grants take a look at the Student Finance page on The Student Room.
Alternatively, check out the resources below or look through their Quick Start Guide to Student Finance for all you need to know.
- Student Finance England 2016/17 – How your child applies and gets paid
- Student Finance England 2016/17 – How your child repays their loan
- Student Finance England 2016/17 – Frequently Asked Questions
- Student Finance England 2016/17 – Myths and Facts
- Student Finance England 2016/17 – Disabled Students Allowance Guidance