This Privacy Notice provides you with details of how we collect and process your personal data.
Newcastle University is the lead University for the North East Raising Aspiration Partnership and acts as data controller with responsibility for your personal data.
Our postal address is The University of Newcastle upon Tyne, King’s Gate, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 7RU.
If you have any queries about your data please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephoning 0191 208 3128.
Newcastle University’s Data Protection Officer can be found at http://www.ncl.ac.uk/data.protection/PrivacyNotice.htm.
How the North East Raising Aspiration Partnership (NERAP) uses student data
We will only use your personal data when legally permitted:
– Where it is necessary for our legitimate interests, and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests.
– Where we need to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation.
We will use your data to:
– contact you in order to administer participation in NERAP activities and events;
– make sure you have all the information you need throughout the NERAP activities and events you are participating in;
– inform you of future events and activities;
– evaluate and report on the impact and effectiveness of NERAP;
– Conduct research to monitor equality of opportunity.
We may need to collect the following data from you, which is considered special category data under data protection law:
– Information about your health, as we are required under the Equality Act 2010 to ensure that we make any reasonable adjustments for students to be able to fully participate in the NERAP events and activities.
– Ethnicity, as the NERAP Partner universities have a duty in the substantial public interest to monitor and report on student ethnic background to the Office for Students, and to undertake research to ensure that there is equality of opportunity to participate in NERAP.
How we store your data
Data and information given will be stored in accordance with data protection laws and other applicable legislation. It will be stored by the NERAP Central Team based at Newcastle University. Appropriate technical and organisation measures will be taken to keep your data secure. Data will not be stored outside the European Economic Area.
Records will be retained by the NERAP for 10 years after the date of your last interaction with us. If the NERAP ends, or the date reaches 10years after the date of your last interaction, your data will be appropriately and securely destroyed.
Should you withdraw from NERAP activities your data will be held and used as described here unless you specifically inform us you do not wish your data to be used in this way. You can do this by emailing email@example.com or telephoning on 0191 208 3128.
Sharing your data for administering your involvement in the North East Raising Aspiration Partnership activities.
The following parties will be given access to your data in order to administer the NERAP activities and events and track your progress:
– NERAP universities in order to fully manage and deliver our events and activities
Sharing your data to evaluate and report on the impact of North East Raising Aspiration Partnership (NERAP)
In order evaluate and report on the impact and effectiveness of NERAP, your data may be shared with:
– HEAT (Higher Education Access Tracker, run by the University of Kent). We will share your data with the Department for and/or with the other organisations HEAT works with. HEAT has access to government data sets and will inform us about your progression to higher education, your success in higher education and career paths post-higher education. As well as with its key personnel and the supplier which maintains its database, HEAT may share your data with official custodians of education data including the Higher Education Statistics Agency, UCAS, the Department for Education, the Higher Education Funding Council (to become the Office for Students), the Office for Fair Access, the National Pupil Database and other agencies for research purposes only (and agreed with the HEAT governance and steering groups). HEAT will only share your data if they are required by law or directed by a court of similar body to do so.
– NERAP Partner Universities. We may share individual evaluation data with our partner universities to assist in the evaluation of NERAP events and activities. We will share data from any questionnaire you complete and other data we are permitted to use may be used by us for research purposes to ascertain the success of this widening participation initiative.
– UCAS. Your data will be shared with UCAS in order to understand the trends and patterns of RO students in each higher education application cycle. Data received back from UCAS is aggregated and at no point will you be able to be identified within it.
In sharing your data to evaluate and report on the impact NERAP we will not use your data in a way that will affect you individually. For all reporting purposes your data will be aggregated or made anonymous. You will not be individually identified in any reports and confidentiality will be maintained at all times. Your data will not be used for sales and marketing purposes. NERAP does not and will not sell personal data to third party organisations.
Please contact the NERAP Central Team if you have a query or complaint about the use of your personal data. You can telephone 0191 208 3128 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Under certain circumstances, you have rights under data protection laws in relation to your personal data. These include the right to:
– request access to your personal data. Under data protection law you are entitled to request copies of all the personal data that NERAP holds about you. This is called a Subject Access Request. To make a request please follow the process set out at http://www.ncl.ac.uk/data.protection/personal.htm
– request correction of your personal data. It is very important that the information we hold about you is accurate and up to date. Please let us know if at any time your personal information changes by contacting us at the email address or telephone number above.
– object to processing of your personal data.
– request that your data is removed from our system. Please note, if you are still active on NERAP and request that your data is removed, you will be withdrawing from our events and activities as we cannot administer your involvement without processing some personal data.
– request restriction of processing your personal data ( eg you can request that we do not share your data with any parties listed other than the NERAP universities).
You will not have to pay a fee to access your personal data (or to exercise any of the other rights). However, we may charge a reasonable fee if your request is clearly unfounded, repetitive or excessive. Alternatively, we may refuse to comply with your request in these circumstances.
We try to respond to all legitimate requests within one month. Occasionally it may take us longer than a month if your request is particularly complex or you have made a number of requests. In this case, we will notify you and keep you updated.
Details of your rights under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and how to contact the Information Commissioner’s Office can be found at http://www.ncl.ac.uk/data.protection/PrivacyNotice.htm.